Guide to the Architectural Engineering Department Lantern Slides 1927-1941
PC 25

Summary Information

Repository
Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries
Title
Architectural Engineering Department Lantern Slides
ID
PC 25
Date [inclusive]
1927-1941
Extent
1.0 box
General Physical Description note
.5 linear feet of shelf space 52 lantern slides
Language
English
Abstract
Instructional lantern slides depicting missions in the northwest, housing in the Seattle area, and selected buildings in Pullman, WA.

Preferred Citation note

[Item Description] Architectural Engineering Department Instructional Lantern Slides, 1927-1941

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries, Pullman, WA.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

Stanley Albert Smith was born in Brookville, Kansas November 25, 1889. He attended Kansas State College where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1913, and immediately became an instructor at the college from 1913 to 1920. Smith held professor positions at several universities, including North Dakota Agricultural College (later NDSU), 1920-1923 and Washington State College (later WSU), 1923-1955. While at WSU, Smith was head of the architectural engineering department and designed fraternity houses and college buildings. He was the second university architect at WSU, and between 1924 and 1947 he completed fourteen major buildings at WSU.

Washington State University’s Department of Agricultural Engineering was first organized in 1909. In 1926 four year professional courses in architecture began, the work being jointly administered by the Deans of the College of Agriculture and the College of Engineering. The College of Engineering administered the curriculum; the College of Agriculture administered the research and the Cooperative Extension work. By 2011, all architecture programs were fully within Engineering, with Landscape Architecture having been the last holdout.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The collection consists of glass lantern slides depicting photographs plans /drawings of historical buildings of the Pacific Northwest. These were apparently intended for instructional use for architecture students, and so it is unclear how many are reproductions of others’ images, and how many are “original” images. Glass lantern slides are 3¼”x4” positive glass transparencies, generally intended for projection onto a screen.

Based on notes and identifying call numbers written on the slides, we suspect these were once held as instructional materials in the departmental Architecture Library in WSU’s Carpenter Hall. A significant number of them are drawn from the work of Stanley Smith, WSC’s University Architect from 1923 to 1947, but we can’t be certain if all of these come from him. Smith is known to have taken photographs and drawings of missions in the region, so many of those, at least, are potentially unique to this collection. Though he apparently never published from them, in December of 1935 Smith did present on campus (complete with illustrated slides) on the history of the Cataldo Mission.

Return to Table of Contents »


Arrangement note

With some slight tweaking, materials are arranged in an order which matches the call numbers hand-written on the slides. This results in a loose subject-based order of several series and subseries. The series are comprised of, in order, Pullman materials, a series of mission slides, some materials on commercial buildings and a fort, a series of Seattle-based housing slides (ca. 1940-1941), and finally a few images related to a Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion House.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections, Washington State University Libraries © 2017

http://www.libraries.wsu.edu/masc
Terrell Library
P.O. Box 645610
Pullman, WA, 99164-5610
509-335-6691
mascref@wsu.edu

Conditions Governing Access note

This collection is open and available for research use.

Conditions Governing Use note

Copyright restrictions apply.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

The glass lantern slides in this collection were received at Washington State University Libraries’ Manuscripts, Archives, and Special Collections (MASC) at some point in time prior to 2001. They were initially retained without an accession number, and were finally processed in July 2017 by University Archivist Mark O’English.

Processing Information note

Sometime after receipt, the glass slides were housed individually in paper sleeves, which were annotated with information (often incorrect) copied from the slides. This is the second MASC collection identified as PC 25 – the earlier PC 25, “Additional Glass Negatives, ca. 1901-1920” was incorporated into PC 23 in 2017.

Return to Table of Contents »


Related Materials

Related Archival Materials note

Some of Stanley Smith’s floorplans, photographs, and other information related to the Cashup Davis hotel and some of the missions can be found in Cage 875, Stanley A. Smith Papers circa 1900-1964.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Geographic Name(s)

  • Northwest, Pacific -- History

Personal Name(s)

  • Smith, Stanley Albert, 1889-

Subject(s)

  • Architecture -- Northwest, Pacific -- History
  • Photographs.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series 1: Pullman, WA 

Stanley Smith home, construction, circa 1927-1928. (408 NE Michigan; post-1976 address is 610 NE Michigan) 

slide

Clearing site 

1

Excavation 

2

Basement walls 

3

Framing 1st floor 

4

Finished house 

5

Finished house 

6

Floorplan - 1st floor 

7

Floorplan - 2nd floor 

8
slide

Alpha Delta Pi (725 NE Linden) 

9

Pi Beta Phi (825 NE Linden) 

10

Catholic Church (440 NE Ash St) 

11

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 2: Missions 

St. Joseph's Mission, Slickpoo, ID. 

slide

Altar 

12

Sunday House 

13

Window detail 

14

Front entrance 

15

Sunday Houses? 

16

St. Mary's Mission, Stevensville, MT. Father Ravalli, architect, under Father DeSmet. Built 1841, closed 1850. 

slide

Front left view 

17

Front view 

18

St. Michael's Mission, Spokane, WA. Built 1866-1878. (19-20 and 22-23 appear to be different churches. It is unclear which church image 21 belongs to.) 

slide

Front right view. 

19

Detail over door. Carfagno carvings. 

20

Internal. Carfagno carvings. 

21

Front right view. Carfagno carvings. 

22

Architectural drawings, Stanley Smith & Harry Weller. "St. Michael's Mission at Peone Prairie, Wash." 

23

Sacred Heart Mission, St. Joe River, 1842. Fathers Point & DeSmet. 

slide

External view 

24

Sacred Heart Mission, Cataldo, ID. Ravalli, architect. Built 1846. 

slide

Detail - external wall and window 

25

Drawing by Stevens Expedition 

26

Side and back view 

27

Sacristy detail 

28

Front view 

29

Interior 

30

Architectural drawings, Stanley Smith & Harry Weller. "Old Indian Mission." 

31

Sacred Heart Mission, Tensed, ID. Built 1878. 

slide

Front view, through trees. 

32

Whitman Mission Site, Waiilatpu, WA 

slide

Distant view 

33

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 3: Businesses & Forts 

Cashup Davis store, Cashup, WA. [Note: this is the store, built at Cottonwood Springs / Cashup in the late 1870s, not the Steptoe Butte hotel] 

slide

Floor plans, Stanley Smith & Harry Weller. "James S. 'Cashup' Davis's Store, Cashup, Wash." 

34

Front and left view 

35

Side view 

36
slide

Fort Lapwai - detail of beam intersections 

37

Granary, Hudson Bay Post, Nisqually, WA 

slide

End view 

38

Front view 

39

Return to Table of Contents »


Series 4: Housing 

Westpark Housing, Bremerton, WA. Built 1940. 

slide

Homes 

40

Homes 

41
slide

Typical floor plan, Edmond Meany Hotel, Seattle, WA 

42

Sand Point Homes, Seattle, WA 

slide

Homes 

43

Composite plans of typical single-floor units 

44

The plot plan capitalizes a sloping terrain 

45

Homes 

46

Yesler Terrace Housing, Seattle, WA. Built 1939-1941. 

slide

Plot plan 

47

Aerial neighborhood photograph 

48

Side view, housing unit 

49

Dymaxion House, R. Buckminster Fuller design. 

slide

Front view 

50

Interior view 

51

Interior view 

52

Return to Table of Contents »